Wednesday, December 12, 2012

December 11 - Miracle on 34th street

This visit to 1947 New York has always been my favorite version of Santa and a classic loved for decades right along with "It's a wonderful life". Edmund Gwen embodies Kris Kringle in a way few have ever achieved, including the remakes with Sebatian Cabot in the 1970s and with Richard Attenbourough in the 90s. Gwen naturally believes he is Santa and makes it obvious to everyone else, just sort of matter of fact.

The whole cast is wonderful including young Natalie Wood, Maureen O'Hara, and John Gavin who hailed from Roanoke before he found Hollywood fame.

Last night we watched Miracle on an AMC marathon. The only two issues I had with the presentation were the commercial breaks, an understandable intrusion, and colorization. The version we watched was computer colorized and did not look really natural. I joked to my wife Sandy that it looked like a promotion for another AMC show as the cast of Miracle looked like "the walking dead."

I always catch Miracle on Thanksgiving to start the season then later toward Christmas and I always enjoy it. Keep in mind that bubblegum and whiskers don't go together and if Kris Kringle is good enough for the post office, he's good enough for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment